Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post
I also suffer from Autoimmune disease but it's Ulcerative Colitis not Psoriasis. I have been taking probiotics for over ten years now and never to my knowledge has it caused any symptoms. Maybe it's somehow related to the Psoriasis itself and not Autoimmune as a whole?

Just trying to offer a different opinion on them as I believe without them I would be in horrible shape being in a UC flare. My Dr. recommends them to all his UC surgical patients.

If you can believe it I have UC and am an alcoholic, it's almost like I welcome pain.

Just my opinion.
1st wow I'm surprised at how many others here have to deal with this. I remember the commercials when I was a little kid about "The heartbreak of psoriasis". Boy, I didn't realize how true that statement was.

EADGBE, welcome to the board! What Dee said, in that this isn't a one size fits all is so accurate. Autoimmune diseases are weird. I'm sure that there are some people out there that have psoriasis and UC that could take probiotics and never experience the same thing that three of us in this thread have. Just like anything, be it prescription or non prescription, and be it if you have an autoimmune disorder or not, there are side effects that "may" happen. Some may have problems and some may not.

The important thing is to check with your doctor and be monitored. It could be that I need to take less of the probiotic or maybe even a different strain. However, after that fiasco I'm unwilling to go there. It was really depressing to have those bloodshot eyes that looked like I had been on a bender. Now that I am feeling as good as I do I also realize that I felt EXACTLY how I used to feel when I was hung over. The red eyes, foggy cobweb brain, the whole nine yards. The brain works in mysterious ways. Especially an alcoholic brain. It was almost a trigger to me because I was thinking "What's the point? All the hard work that you've done and you look and feel like crap like you used to". Not that I would have given up sobriety but at least two times when I got up in the morning hoping to see clear eyes and saw the redness my mind went "Hey you, look at those eyes, you look like you've been drinking. I can see you're really upset about that, if they're going to look like that anyway why not just have a beer? No one would know the difference and you'd feel better and not care about the whole situation". Ahhhhhhhhh, the AV at it's finest. Even being as committed as I am to not drinking it still loooooooooooooves to play those games.

Due to this reason not only will I never take probiotics again I will always consult with my doctor before adding any supplements at all regardless of what they are.