Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
foolsgold66

Thanks to all who have participated in the thread thus far. I'm going to share a little bit about how I'm beginning to improve my job and career. This takes work I wasn't willing or necessarily even able to do without sobriety. I'm going to do this as generically as possible even though it would be easier for me to be specific. I work a 'desk job' so to speak so you will see that focus but I think there will still be value here for those that work any kind of job.

A) I'm raising my level of expectations for my own daily work routine. I'm staying more organized and I'm trying to document my use of time reasonably. I'm trying to be more consistent about taking care of administrative details regularly rather than avoiding them until there is a giant pile.

B) I'm goofing off less. Yes, we all do it. I work unsupervised so I can get away with more. I'm limiting my personal activities such as checking email, weather, and chatting with colleagues. I'm holding myself more accountable to giving my company the value they pay me for.

C) I'm confronting problems that arise within my organization, even longstanding ones, and making an effort to communicate and document the issues to my superiors, peers, and others and trying to be part of the solution rather than just working around the problem.

D) I'm trying to be nice to others at work even when I don't have to. This really helps my attitude.

I kept this short on purpose. To sum up, these are a few things I'm doing that help me feel better about my job as a sober person. My job is part of my life. When I do a better job, I improve my life. When I improve my life, I'm happier, and I remember this wouldn't be happening if I was drinking.

I choose not to drink today
FG