Old 11-17-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hawkeye13

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Hi goingdownslo and welcome!

I didn't love drinking nearly as much as I thought it did. Almost 6 months in now and I've never been happier. What comes to mind now when I look back at all that fun that I thought that I was having is disgust over how much time I wasted succumbing to an addiction that served no purpose. I just thought it was fun.

You can feel this same way too believe it or not. 7 months ago I could have posted almost exactly what you did.

Life is far BETTER without it and much more fun (if you do it right).
I felt exactly the same way. I just didn't miss it anymore. When I tried to drink "socially" after two years, I really didn't enjoy that at all even though I started drinking like I'd never quit. So I stopped again, and feel a little happier everyday.

I also really really loved to drink and did it for over 35 years.
My husband still drinks, sometimes leaves his bottles or half-finished drinks on the counter.

I wouldn't touch them today, and I don't even want to, but the old me would have thought "jackpot" seeing half a bottle of rum on counter Sunday morning. So even very habitual drinkers can change their attitudes if they choose to. I hope you give it a try for a good long period before making up your mind (yes, the first weeks and months can be tough) and welcome to SR