View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
foolsgold66

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Curious about recovery programs. I have been in AA and working the steps but considering beginning AVRT. The principles are opposed so its one or the other. Curious what others in the class are using.

Thanks
Well, I kind of had to collect my thoughts on that JD. My last AA meeting was in the neighborhood of 9 years ago, so I'm not actively using AA but I am consciously to an extent and perhaps subconsciously as well using SOME of that program 'material'.

I spent 28 days in rehab, also a long time ago, so the same really goes for that experience, I think of some of the things I learned there actively, and this likely has subconcious affect too.

I read a little SR almost every day and post some, as you know. I see the failures and successes and trials and relapses here. I know there is support here if I need it, and I try to pitch in to help others, albeit selectively.

I'm also personally using positive and negative reinforcement specifically, as in sometimes I visualize the negative consequences of a return to the bottle, and sometimes I reflect on the positive things I'm achieving now and that lie in my sober future.

I've spent some time rereading AA literature and a couple of books about alcoholism.

As to AVRT. I'm a pretty honest person. I lie occasionally, I think everyone does. Mostly they are white lies, I've engaged in very few whopper lies in my life. I try not to lie to myself, I've known since I was 15 years old that alcohol was a problem for me. I never told myself it wasn't. I've ALWAYS been cognizant of my problem. I can't do 'The big plan' without it feeling like I could be telling myself a lie. I must live my life in the today, always. Maybe 'The big plan' is somewhere I could get in time with agressive pursuit of AVRT. I dunno.

As of now, I'm sticking with choosing not to drink, trying to live a good, honest, meaningful life, and the other things I've outlined above as my program.