View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by brazilian View Post
Thanks to God, the alcohol is not a problem for me. I drink only beer, and not often, and avoid abusing it. I feel blessed for it (my father was an alcoholic, died, very sad stuff).

But pot can be a serious problem for me. It leads me to weight gain, and then I get depressed. I lose the will to study and to try hard. I become a master on procrastination. And there are some spiritual issues, too, I guess.

So I think "if I smoked just once a week wouldn't be a problem". Probably right, but it's really hard to say to myself "not today" when I have it in my drawer.

Luckly, it's rare to have pot in my drawer. I don't know any dealers, so I depend on little gifts from my few friends. I often get frustrated for not having pot. It's tricky: when I don't have pot (almost always) I feel frustrated, and when I have some, I smoke until it's over, in some kind of compulsion.
I think you may have just answered your own question. Pot causes physical, mental and career issue for you. You can't stop smoking it once you start. You get frustrated when you don't have it. It's hard for you to not start smoking even when you tell yourself you don't want to today.

Each of those individually is a red flag for addiction, and collectively they are pretty convincing evidence in my view. But again, you need to decided if you feel it's enough of an issue to quit completely. Because by your own admission moderation is not a possibility, so it's pretty much all or nothing. That is generally the case with addiction for anyone, regardless of the drug they are addicted to.