View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Tinks65

just a note on meetings ... sometimes you have to try a few different meetings to find where you fit. I first went to an ALAnon meeting close to my neighborhood. This particular meeting was combined with ALateen. Not a good idea. I was one of two newcomers and in a very sad, dark place. The other woman who was new was also in much pain judging by what she shared.

During the meeting the teens were cutting up and laughing, not paying much attention when others would share. I left that meeting feeling every bit as alone as I did when I came in. I had absolutely no desire to return. I went on to find the meeting I now attend. I have met several others who also attended the Alanon/ Alateen meeting and had a similar experience to me.

A couple of weeks ago our meeting celebrated it's thirty year anniversary! We have a core group who attend faithfully. There are those who's loved ones are drug addicts and some who's loved ones are alcoholics. Mom's, dad's, spouses, siblings, and a few who's parent is the addict. We do a step meeting on the first of each month and for the other weeks we take turns leading. Whoever is leading usually picks a topic and has corresponding readings to spark discussion. Last week I led and my topic was detachment. There are times though when we don't even get to the topic at hand. We will usually ask if there is anyone with a burden or joy they would like to share and sometimes that will spark discussion all on its own.

A friend of mine and I have discussed trying to start another meeting. People's schedules are so hectic these days and it would be good to have other options for those who for whatever reason can't make our meeting. My group has been such a blessing to me. I have a strong desire to carry the message of recovery to others and to help start other groups that will hopefully be as successful as ours.