View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lizw
God's Kid

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I too have mixed feelings for Special composition groups. We have Alano Clubs designed to look and feel like bars complete with most of the amenities found at a typical bar. They have pool tables, vending machines, card tables and pinball machines. They even had cigarette machines when the law allowed them. Now they have heated/air-conditioned tents set up outside for smokers. I don't exactly feel unsafe in them (went to thousands of similar places while drinking) except I do hold onto my wallet while I am in there. They also have card-sharks, pool hustlers, con-men, prostitutes, pick-pockets and drug dealers. On the positive side, these clubs offer 3 - 5 AA meetings a day and can be a potential source for sponsee's if you can set up healthy boundary's to protect yourself from the con-artists. There are also meetings where ALL the closest parking spots are reserved for motorcycles only. I don't even need to go into meetings like that to figure out that they are special-composition-groups. There is a meeting with a typical sounding AA group name listed in the directory that attracted me because it had a name that sounded "nice". It was held in a D.A.V. hall with lots of flags on the building. That did not put me off though as I am a Vet myself. Within 5 seconds of walking in the door, an elderly gentleman in a wheelchair welcomed me by saying "If you expect to bring that Big Book in here we will shove it up your a$$. I left immediately and never went back. I found out later that it is not safe to go there if you want to talk about 12 steps, God or anything remotely spiritual. It is 100% about warstories of the real war kind. There is a "Men's group" where I was told you can use as much colorful language as you want without offending anyone. I tried it once and it looked like a place I could feel at home at. Until they were in the middle of reading the preamble and got to the part where it says "The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking". A tough looking guy wearing 98% leather and 2% chains jumped up and yelled "I'll shoot the first SOB that says otherwise!". I asked what looked like a good-old-timer after the meeting what that was about? He said "Don't worry about that guy, he says that at every meeting and hasn't produced a gun yet". I got to thinking, "Would a church put up with a guy like that? Would any group of sane people put up with a guy like that? Isn't it a crime to shout something like that in a crowd of people?" I never went back because drama and chaos is not what I am now looking for. There is a cluster of special-purpose-groups that call themselves "The Dignitaries" that I have a love/hate relationship with. They practice "Tough Love", encourage cross-talk and peck apart newcomers by interrupting them and telling them when their BS is spattering everyone else's shoes. At first I thought they were being mean spirited and drove away newcomers in droves. But after watching them for a while, I saw that they truly are a "Men's Support Group". They say they are not just a meeting and I now believe it. They help each other outside the meeting with rides, jobs, housing and legal advice at a level way beyond the average meeting. I am starting to rethink my judgement of them. There is some history about them at: Brownie's and the Dignitaries Sympathy Groups
I love these types of stories - they remind me AA survives inspire of ourselves sometimes.

My understanding is there is a difference between a meeting and a group. We have a few single sex meetings here in NZ and a lot just operate as meetings which means they don't feed into the service structure, they just do their own thing and don't participate in AA as a whole in my country.

Personally over the years I've adopted the approach if it helps people then it can't be all bad. Has taken me along time to get to this point though.