Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vedette

I can't believe I did it. Thank you to all who encouraged me

Went inpatient rehab at an AdCare Hospital and was medically cleared and discharged after four days. After years of drinking almost a quart of vodka every night, I was amazed to wake up and still be alive! Lots of meds, vitals taken every few hours, 4 group meetings per day, individual counseling but all worth it. If you are thinking of detoxing and you are fortunate enough to have access to a medical facility to detox, Do it! I do not want to minimize the pain and discomfort of withdrawal symptoms some of my brothers & sisters here have suffered through but being in hospital detox makes is very comfortable.
I was so scared to go. I waited four days for a bed to open up. Each day I called to check in and found no bed was available, I was like "Yes!" and was able to drink one more night. When the call finally came that a bed opened up, I had only 4 hours to check in or lose the bed. I really did not want to go but my dear wife reminded me of how strong I have been during past moments of crises and I made my mind up to go. So, 5 days sober and a long road ahead of me. I'm in outpt detox and will attend AA after that. Thank you all on SR who supported and encouraged me. It played a big part in my decision to quit.