View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
keithj

Special composition groups/meetings

Although 'AA process' topics are not nearly as much fun as 'spiritual journey' topics, a comment made on another thread got me thinking about this, and the 12 Step thread is the appropriate place to hear your thoughts on it.

I stole the term 'special composition groups' from another. It seems an appropriate term to describe groups or meetings that have a narrower focus and membership than simply 'alcoholic'. This would include groups specifically targeted to men, women, bikers, young people, Vets, etc. I have mixed feelings about these groups. One the one hand I can see the value of having a group of people that I can identify with. Let's face it, the 19 year old woman walking into a meeting filled with 50 year old men is not going to feel like she fits in very well. I see the point in some of these meetings.

On the other hand, doesn't our singleness of purpose, our anonymity, and our unity transcend these other perceived differences between us? For the purpose of an AA meeting, I walk through the doors as an alcoholic. What binds me to the others there is a common problem and a common solution, and all the other things with which I identify myself are somewhat irrelevant in that place. We are people who normally would not mix, but there we are, joined together in action with a common solution to our common problem.

Thoughts, anyone?