Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jkb69

Originally Posted by autan View Post
It might come across as strange, but I have spent my entire life trying to please other people. I drank when they drank, when they had no money to go out, I used to pay. When I was paralytic in a bar, they helped me into bed.

Now that I am clean and sober for good (one hopes), my friends have been calling me and asking me to go out. I made up excuses apart from this weekend, I met them at a bar in Preston we used to hangout in and told them I no longer drink. I am an alcoholic and have chosen a life of abstinence based recovery.

At first the disgust on their faces was a little embarrassing and then one of my friends said. "Are you taking the **** ?" I said no, I am serious.

He was really annoyed by what I had just told him and I went in to details about rehab and trying to quit in the past. I asked him why he was getting upset, (almost violently aggressive), he said he had helped me and that he feels now because I no longer drink, I am betraying our friendship.

I told him if he was a real friend he would support me. I cant repeat the reply.

I went to shake his hand goodbye and he was having none of it. I told my Wife, what had happened and she said, you have to put yourself first and your family first. I intend to and then I also came to the conclusion that I have to learn to be selfish and protect my sobriety.

Has anyone else had a similar reaction from friends or so called friends ?
I had the similar reaction from some friends when I tried to stop some years ago. I did not even ever pay their drinks. But this time around stopping over 3 months ago I dont have any drinking friends. I was drinking on my own or with my wife and she just drank a little and put up with it. Maybe you need to find some new friends and hobbies.