View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
longbeachone

I've talked here before about the two year period when my husband was critically ill (MRSA/flesh eating bacteria in his abdominal cavity, contracted during routine gall bladder surgery, 8 months in intensive care, then months more in the hospital then in rehab before he, miraculously, recovered). It still amazes me that I didn't relapse during that time.

What I did, though, was eat ice cream. Gallons of it. What is it about this stuff? I craved it, every single night. I didn't care about eating anything else, either, although I went through a short rice pudding phase too. I tried to combat the damage by switching to frozen yogurt, but I piled so many toppings on it that it was not really any better. I was partial to one particular brand that had flavors like red velvet cake, blueberry cobbler, sea salt caramel. I just lived on the stuff.

Was it just the amazing amount of stress that I was under that made me crave ice cream so much? I think early sobriety has an incredible amount of stress too, so maybe there is something there. I don't really have an answer or any advise for you. As things got better, the cravings went away (I still love the stuff, though). I didn't gain any weight from it, but it certainly was not good for me, because on many days ice cream was the only thing I ate. I think that, for me, it was the ultimate comfort food. I was so miserable and terrified, eating it made me feel, for a little while, like I was taking care of myself.

Try to eat healthy choices when possible, go for frozen yogurt (sans toppings!) and congratulate yourself for your sobriety...that is the important thing right now.