Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SteppingStone

Hi Sheryl,

I am so sorry for the situation that has brought you here and I am also glad you found us.

I recently joined too (Oct 2013) for similar reasons to your own. I felt betrayed, cheated, desperate, depressed, lonely, etc after my partner of 5+ years walked out on me & my daughter (from a previous relationship), almost 7 months into his recovery. I never thought it would get better. I appreciated the advice from everyone on here but I didn't think it would work for me, however, just 2 weeks after joining & approx. 5 1/2 weeks after he walked out, I am beginning to smile again.

I have attended online meetings & after taking guidance from people here, I have learned a lot about myself and the affliction of addiction and you will too because you are not alone. I know you must feel like your world has ended but in actual fact, it is just beginning on a new journey. It's amazing how many people you see here that are going/have been through the same as you and they survived so please take their guidance, they know what they're talking about.

You will hear the 3 C's being mentioned a lot here:
You didn't cause his addiction
You can't control it
You can't cure it

And it's true. Let him go and work on his own recovery and use this opportunity to start on yours. You have a precious little girl there and you are her world so you need to be strong for both your sakes. However, he does have to contribute for his daughter so I agree with BoxinRotz, you need to file for Child Support.

Originally Posted by SherylB View Post
This is a person who is unemployed and spent the whole day smoking and drinking in our garage.
Ask yourself this: Do you really want HIM, or do you just want a close, loving relationship? Someone told me to ask myself the same question 2 weeks ago and it really got me thinking.

You will get through this and we are here to help. I know its difficult and you are going through a lot of pain at the moment but you do get stronger with each day that passes.

Try Al-Anon meetings, online meetings, therapy..........anything that may help because its about you and your daughter at the moment. And keep posting here. Read other people's stories here...........even read how I have progressed in 2 short weeks by clicking on my name to the left and selecting 'Find all threads started by SteppingStone'.

The best revenge is living well. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me.

((Gentle Hugs)) to you and your daughter.