View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
leighr

I went through alot of the same stuff. I moved out with my young daughter at the end of June 2012. I think my saving grace was that I signed a year lease on our rental. The first few months were the worst in dealing with him. He had a heart attack shortly after we moved out, which he basically blamed me for (since I broke his heart). Dealt with getting all the foul mouthed texts, emails and phone calls. Then he moved on to the pity tactics. All while going to individual therapy and marriage counseling (which we were "fired" from since he would not stop drinking) and trying to have "family" time. I forced myself to see what he was doing to me and my child both emotionally and physically, and decided I did not like what I saw. I had my moments of missing him as well, but they soon passed when I realized he was not about to take responsibility for his life and well being, and that it was not up to me to fix him. I am so glad I did not insist on a shorter lease. Still in the rental almost a year and half later (renewed the lease for another year), down 40 pounds and my daughter is thriving. I am happier now than I have been in many, many years. No one can tell you what will make it stick for you, but a long lease, time to think and getting a new perspective on how he handles his own life did it for me. Best of luck to you!