View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FourSeasons

Originally Posted by poorlouis View Post
I am getting serious about quitting. As to my thread title, I "quit" drinking once or twice a week. Sometimes I even stay sober for a whole day! But rarely. The longest I've gone without a drink was about 3 days, two or so months ago.

It always starts with one or two drinks. If I make it to three, it's as if the road begins to drop and my brakes stop working! Next thing you know... I wake up feeling horrible and my wife is sleeping on the couch.
Welcome Poorlouis! I am so glad you stumbled upon us!!!

I can truly identify with your drinking pattern. That was me too. I never was able to build up momentum with consecutive sober days. If I made it over a week, then that was a reason to celebrate. And, celebrate I did!!! My celebration always started with just one "tasty" glass of wine. After that, all bets were off. What a reward, huh???

It wasn't until I truly embraced SR that things finally changed. I spent hours upon hours reading up on other member's posts.

I started to learn more about the "Addictive Voice" aka THE BEAST and I was so ready to open my mind to this concept. With a bit of practice, I was able to identify my own inner dialogue with alcohol.

The watershed moment for me came 6 days after my official sober date. The AV was really at it all it's all time high. This day was the first day I actually "thought through the drink". I envisioned what my life is like when I have "just one". It is ugly, dark, and depressing. And, it is always the same.

It was at this moment that I embraced the fact that I cannot have "just one". (And the truth is, I actually don't even want just one! Really, what is the point?)

It was on this day that I truly stood up to the beast and screamed, "NO!!! ENOUGH!!! NOT AGAIN!!!"

The beast has not reared it's ugly head since.

I hope you stick around and I wish all my best to you on your road to recovery.