View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
hothow

realities of being sober

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I agree with Johnston...but to be honest I thought it would be instantly amazing too - and it wasn't.

I felt relief but I also felt beaten up, weary, scared, bored, angry irritable and resentful..

It took me probably 3 months before the physical and mental damage I'd done to myself began to heal and I felt my perceptions shifting...it was still a little time after that until I felt joy again....I'd dug a pretty deep hole for myself over the course of 30 years.

Not trying to depress you - your mileage will undoubtedly vary - but the point is, if you stay committed to being sober, you will get better and feel better - and you will find the 'amazing'

D
in the past ive had 2 years 8 months sober and as you say no initial wow factor but as dee rightly says relief at first then the rest follows,i have a friend who continues to drink because he cant believe he an feel better so is on a weekly roundabout,drink,ill,recover repeat,you have to go a little way in to get some benefits,which im doing myself again as we speak!best wishes