View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

I can pretty much only echo what's already been said. If you take the alcohol away from the alcoholic all you get is a miserable alcoholic who can't drink. Lots of other things have to change if a person with an drinking problem wants to stay sober and be happy. That doesn't come overnight, and it doesn't come at all, unless someone is really willing and motivated. And has faith that it can and will change. There are lots of people doing that change lots of different ways here at SR. I did it through AA, so I can't go on with my detailed experience as I know you don't want to hear it. I wasn't happy for a while though, even with AA. Took small changes over long periods of time for me to learn to live differently. That didn't mean just not going to bars. It meant reprogramming my brain, and learning to live, think, act, and breath in ways I'd never known before. I love my life without alcohol. I hated my life with. I believe anyone who's honest, open minded, and willing can have that same exchange.