Thread: Screw this.
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Wavy

Originally Posted by JanieJane View Post
I guess my AB (is that how you say alcoholic boyfriend?) wasn't interested in trying very hard last night. He went back to his old amount - a 26 ounce bottle of whiskey. He has PTSD and when he drinks a lot, he gets very confused in the night. He had nightmares all night and kept me up for two hours, swearing, name calling, and being physical. I pretended to be asleep, hoping it would make it better if I didn't respond. He kicked, shoved, pushed, pinched me, tried to throw me onto the floor. Other times, I've tried getting up and leaving the room but he just follows me. Does anyone else deal with PTSD in their partner? What is the best way to handle this?

Ruby2, I'm sorry you had to deal with that last night. <3
My XABF suffered from PTSD that was made worse by his drinking. It was terrifying. I found it was better if I didn't fight back. Which is hardly ideal when someone is pressing a pillow over your face. Those nights have contributed to my own PTSD.

This may sound harsh, but the best way to handle it is to not be there. Until you are ready to leave permanently, as soon as you think a night might be heading down this route your best bet is to get out of the house. I never realised soon enough and he would trap me there once he got going, he was very strong even when completely confused.

I felt like being his GF I should be there with him through his struggles, he was sick and suffering after all. What I never considered tho was that he was responsible for being in that situation. There is treatment available for PTSD that he could have taken up, but chose not to. He was allowing himself to stay sick and I was joining in. It is the same with his alcoholism. He he won't help himself there is nothing I can do to help him and I just get hurt in the meantime. I on the other hand sort out treatment for my PTSD as soon as I realised what might be going on, I want to be better. I guess he doesn't.