Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Blessdmess

I agree with the OP.

Every time I have quit drinking, I have attempted to make that the only thing that I've changed and it doesn't work for me. I look at my attempts to keep the same people, places and things in my life, but without using, as just setting the table to inevitably go back out to using.
My ego, so often, screamed at me that "I can show everyone how strong I am by being able to go out to bars and NOT drink". This is foolish. This didn't work. For me, I no longer fit in with the people around me at the bars and let myself feel bad enough about that which eventually gave myself permission to drink again.

I think we all want to "fit in", wherever we are. I believe the real strength lies in admitting that I am weak and then setting up my surroundings in a way that makes it as easy as possible for me to succeed.

Today, in order to "fit in" I go to meetings. I go to church. I surround myself with people that are serious about recovery. It took a long while to accept that. Someone once told me that if you are to go somewhere where there is drinking for a specific reason then that is ok, but if you are just going to absorb something from the atmosphere then you are in a dangerous place.