Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

I agree to a large extent, speaking as someone who went to pubs in early sobriety. It wasn't good for me. But I didn't drink. I don't like the idea of having somewhere where I absolutely can't go or I'll drink, I want to be able to cope in any situation. And I still enjoy going to pubs. I grew up in pubs and I have a lot of nostalgia there that has nothing to do with drinking. I think the most important thing is to check your motives for being there. And really pay attention to what is going through your head. I have found that I am fine being in pubs seeing friends and watching bands, provided there is no one there who drinks like I did. If I see anyone chucking it back I usually find I need to bail. And I also know that if I go too much that I start getting those slippery thoughts, so they are definitely places I go as little as possible. It has taken me a long time to feel just okay in bars though so I really wouldn't recommend people going there in early sobriety either, at least for 8 months or more. It isn't about getting cravings and potentially drinking, like I said, I never did, but I know it effected me in a negative way and made drinking a slightly more viable option. My rule was that I have to keep the balance, If I spend time with drinkers then I have to spend the same amount of time with sober people...