View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by mybrother View Post
I recently sent a letter to my brother in prison a/b seeing if he is interested in getting an interview for a rehab when he is released from prison in January. He responded by saying rehab is not what he needs. He specifically said "They can only teach me what I already know. There isn't anything about recovery that you can teach me. What I've always lacked is the will to make the step/effort to change. That is something I have to do on my own, and I'm more ready than I've ever been. I'm tired of not having anything. Also, I am tired of killing myself. I'm doing a lot of things differently. I'm starting a routine, I work out a couple hours everyday except Sundays; I read spiritual literature daily; I pray. I am changing the way I look & think about everything."

I think he believes things will be differently but I know he needs help. What can I say to him to make him realize that he needs more than his own "will power." Anyone have anything to say to him or me about this?

Also, in his letters he is always kind of demanding & sort of self-rightous & never really listens to what I say. For example, he never writes a letter without ending with a request of some sort. This is very discerning to me but maybe this is how you have to be in prison. Is this common with addicts? The only time I ever really know how he is feeling is through his poetry.

I hope someone helps. Thank you.
Its positive he is motivated; and the poems and writings you've shared here show he has been thinking about life. But life outside of prison will expose him to all the people. places, things, feelings he had in the past. Personally, I agree with you; rehab, or some other type of treatment would be beneficial to him. I don't think its ever wrong for us to encourage our loved ones to seek help for themselves; we just cant make that all there is to the relationship, or we wont have a real relationship anymore. If encouraging him is something you want to do, then I would probably just emphasize what rehab might help him achieve. Focus on his goals, and ask how he will get there. For example with my husband he was given 1:1 sessions with a therapist. Are there issues in your brothers past that he could benefit from that, help him resolve feelings or events? My husband also learned different cognitive behavioral techniques that help him identify triggers, avoid them, deal with cravings. All good tools to have against addiction. I don't know if that helps you, but your brother needs to know willpower is great, but there are things out there to help make it easier for him to fight the battle, change his life.

Cant really comment on his attitude in the letters, was he like that before prison?