View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mybrother

How to respond to letter

I recently sent a letter to my brother in prison a/b seeing if he is interested in getting an interview for a rehab when he is released from prison in January. He responded by saying rehab is not what he needs. He specifically said "They can only teach me what I already know. There isn't anything about recovery that you can teach me. What I've always lacked is the will to make the step/effort to change. That is something I have to do on my own, and I'm more ready than I've ever been. I'm tired of not having anything. Also, I am tired of killing myself. I'm doing a lot of things differently. I'm starting a routine, I work out a couple hours everyday except Sundays; I read spiritual literature daily; I pray. I am changing the way I look & think about everything."

I think he believes things will be differently but I know he needs help. What can I say to him to make him realize that he needs more than his own "will power." Anyone have anything to say to him or me about this?

Also, in his letters he is always kind of demanding & sort of self-rightous & never really listens to what I say. For example, he never writes a letter without ending with a request of some sort. This is very discerning to me but maybe this is how you have to be in prison. Is this common with addicts? The only time I ever really know how he is feeling is through his poetry.

I hope someone helps. Thank you.