View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

I had similar situations.

I had friends - and they were good 'take a bullet for me' friends who genuinely believed that drinking was good for me....all I needed to do was 'dial it back a bit' and simply learn to stop/drink less...

I think now, they meant no harm, they were simply misguided, clueless, or not wanting our drink-centric friendship to change.

I had to let a lot of those guys go.

It hurt at the time, on both sides, but now I figure I wasn't really being the authentic me anyway...which was a major part of the problem...my desire to fit in (and my desire to get wasted) often dovetailed nicely with other peoples intentions, but not for the better.

I started making new friends, or reconnecting with old ones I'd made before the drink took over.

I was saved more than once by what the AAers call a god shot and something always prevented me from caving...I'm so glad that happened...and my relief helped harden my resolve that being sober was the best way for me to be.

You wobbled, but ultimately you made the decision not to drink....you learned from the wobble...I'd call that a plus Drake

D