Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
Can he return to the Salvation army? My son was always running into the wrong types of girls that contributed to his drug addiction. It seems like this girl probably was new to recovery and dragged your son down with her.
I simply can't think that way....as much as it might give me a sense of "relief" to blame her......ultimately each person is responsible for their own recovery. He could have reinforced HER recovery by deciding he didn't want to date her if she was heading back into active addiction. He had a choice to protect his own recovery.....but he didn't. All three of us talked about it from that perspective......there is no blame.....just personal accountability.

THIS is why they don't recommend getting into relationships in the first year or two (for those who think that suggestion is hogwash). This scenario happens so frequently that it's......yawn.....boring.

Boy.....I do sound calloused. I guess that what happens when you've been watching the active addiction/relapse cycle for this many years.

Yes.....if he chooses to, he could return to the Sally. But that decision is his...not mine. I can only love......and pray.

gentle hugs
ke