Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Caldus

newguy22, you sound like a functional alcoholic like I was. I did all of my drinking at home except I would drink a lot every single night. Early in my drinking career I was a lot like you. I would only drink on the weekends but I found that I was always drinking way too much during that time. It eventually spilled over into the week and then within another year or two I found myself drinking the same way every single night. It's amazing that I was still able to function at work with all of the drinking I was doing each night. Then the nightly drinking finally started to affect my work and that's when I got serious about getting help. For the first time I recognized that my status as a functional alcoholic was going to change into a dysfunctional alcoholic soon enough if I didn't get my act together. The alcoholism always gets worse. I've never heard of a single case where continuing drinking improves the situation. It may take more time for things to get worse but it never gets better.

The thing about alcoholism is that it is not just about how much you drink, when you drink, or what you drink. It's all in the mind. It's about the mental obsession of the next drink or what problems could be solved by drinking. Whether you're a weekend steady drinker or a daily blackout drinker, we all have the same affliction of the mind. You should check out an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in your area and see if you identify with the message and people in there. AA has kept me sober for over a year now. That is a miracle for this daily blackout drinker who only drank at home in isolation.