Thread: Hate this
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
croydonlad

You seem to have a lot of options in your area.

I've got one AA group close by which I've tried 3 times and couldn't get it. It seemed like such a cold and unwelcoming place. I spoke to another couple of new people who joined at the same time as me and they also felt it was like newcomers weren't welcome. I really tried to talk to existing members and some who had been there for a long time but they just didn't seem to be interested. I did also try other groups which were better but I'm not sold on AA yet.

I've been to my GP, a local addiction place who could apply for funding for you to get you into a private rehab but they admitted they just weren't getting the funding anymore. They'd cut half the other groups they offered and they had nothing to offer.

There's no support groups close by.

There is a lot more if I go into London but with the hours I work it would make it very difficult.

To be honest though, I feel like I'm coping just fine at the moment though. I don't find it difficult or stressful, I don't feel like I'm white-knuckling it, I don't miss or crave alcohol.

My counsellor is really helping as, while he helps with anything and everything, he does focus on drinking and everything that goes with it but I have a clear head now that I'm not drinking and each week I take something from the session that helps me cope and gets me thinking. It really is helpful.

But yeah, I wish I had more options to try nearby because I don't think it will do me any harm and I don't want to relapse. I can't really imagine it now though whereas before when I tried to stop drinking it was all too easy to pick up a drink.