View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
wpainterw

P.S. One further thought occurred to me. I am fairly well along in years. And one of my challenges is to avoid comparing what my friends or family are like today to what they were like, or what I perceive they were like, many years ago. People change with time. I too have changed. That is all that can be said, or should be said. Memories can be dangerous. And often it is mistaken and fruitless to try to guess the future. The only thing certain is the "Now". Auden, the poet, wrote a cynical and depressing poem, which begins "As I went out walking, walking down ******* Street..." The poem is beautiful but mistaken. An old tree, gnarled with age, some of its branches torn by storms, may still lift itself up and say that the only thing that really matters is "Now!", that today it is alive, survived the years and that the sun is warming its leaves, cooled by the wind and watered by the rain. A tree does not think of its memories, enshrined in the circles laid down in its trunk. It is too busy searching for the sunlight.

W.