View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting
lillyknitting

Embracing sobriety

Living sober IS different from living a drinking life. For example, went to dinner last night with hubby and daughter. A really lovely, laid back but fun Italian restaurant serving superb food and lovely ambiance. Had a lovely evening, dropped daughter off to wine bar to meet her friends, home by 10.30. Sitting here thinking to myself, if I'd been out with mates drinking (Friday night!!!), no way would I have been in by 10.30. I would definitely have got home by at least 1.30 am, p....d, just about able to take clothes off for bed, make-up still on, not brushing teeth, yuk, ugh. Wake up with resulting hangover.

My life now is: calmer, more peaceful. I seem to have more hours in the day to do the things I want to do. A different life entirely as before I would spend half the week drinking the other half recuperating. I was also thinking the other day; it's not just heavy drinkers/alcoholics that I don't envy but I don't envy anybody who drinks, even so-called "social drinkers" as in "social smokers" lol, I was one of them too. I don't want to ever drink any alcohol at all, whatsoever. None. Not even "a glass" of wine. I see now even a glass changes people. I don't ever want to feel that feeling again, from slightly tipsy/fuzzy to full blown drunk.

I am embracing sobriety. The quiet times, the reflective times. The utter stressful times when I want to cry with frustration. This is all part of living a feeling human being. It will pass, the stress. I want to work through those feelings without numbing my body and brain with poison. I will never, ever drink again.