View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tinks65

who wants to be an addict? .... their lives are miserable. I agree addiction isn't cancer, it isn't diabetes, it isn't a lot of things but I DO believe it is an illness. The addicts brain does not function the same way a normal brain does. Many, many people can drink alcohol socially, smoke weed recreationally, do cocaine and any number of other drugs recreationally ... heck many people abuse pain killers and don't turn into addicts. yet so many cannot stop.

You wouldn't tell a schizophrenic if he just had enough will power the voices would stop .... we don't tell ADHD kids to just suck it up and sit still (well sadly a lot of people do do that but thats another board) Oh if you come to Jesus and have faith your diabetes will go away, or your MS, etc ... There is no sense talking to someone about addiction if they don't believe it is an illness.

For some it is easier to see their loved one as a crummy person who cares for no one but themselves, call them a loser, a jerk whatever it takes to make yourself feel better ...

after watching my son struggle for years now, having success only to stumble and fall but continuing to fight the battle I CHOOSE to believe that inside he is who I know him to be, a really good kid with all kinds of beauty to offer the world I pray for him daily, I will never give up on him and I refuse to label and judge him because I don't have a clue as to the battle he faces every day inside his head.