View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
GracieLou

I have had it for over ten years. I never listened to loud music or used head phones. I hate anything in or on my ears. I had a lot of ear infections as a child and I am half deaf in one ear that has been that way since I was three. Nothing was ever done for the ear infections other than some antibiotics. Deafness runs in the family.

When it first started I went to an ENT doctor. He said I did have blockage in my ears and I had a myringotomy (tubes in the ears). While that improved my hearing slightly it did nothing for the tinnitus.

I don't tune it out on purpose, I guess I just naturally ignore it at times but when it is quiet it seems as it is screaming at me. I can only describe is as a high pitched sonic buzz. I associate the noise with my ears because I am "hearing" it but it is more like in my head. My ENT told me never to use OTC products as that can make it worse. There is no cure.

I have had two people ask me now if quitting drinking has taken that away like so many other things I no longer have but sadly, no. I have lived with it now over a decade and while it is annoying the loss of hearing is more annoying. I can't hear whispers and need the CC on my TV to help me when I can't hear what is said or if the music track is so loud that it drowns out the voices and I have to turn the volume down because the loud music bothers me.

I have read that several things annoy it, caffeine, sugar, alcohol, salt etc but I have never noticed mine being worse or better because of these things. It just is.