View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Originally Posted by Skydawg View Post
Well i just found out I'm going to see a band play Friday night. This will be the first time during my 6 week taper I will venture outside my comfort zone. Music was my first love long before women and drinking caught my attention. Friday is scheduled to be my last 2 beer day leading to a week of 1 beer with that being it and abstinence from there. I know it sounds like a bad idea and it may prove to be but I can't imagine living sober but giving up music and social interaction also over something like a beer or vodka cocktail. I am not only confident today but kinda feel a bit of a challenge because the consensus opinion being that it can't be done. I just have more faith in the human mind than to think we can't outlast our temptations if we want it badly enough.
Hi Skydawg,

I hate to be a downer, but it sounds like you're in a bit of denial - or at having trouble realizing the best ways to kick this thing.

The alcohol is talking right now. LOUDLY. . I can see it in your words. For example: if you don't go see this band, you'll be: "giving up music and social interaction". That's a bunch of BS. You also say "I just found out I am going to see a band", as if you have no choice in the matter. You have chosen to participate in this activity. You are also thinking about what you might drink: "a beer or a vodka cocktail". These are all setting off alarm bells, man.

Combine all this with a six-WEEK taper...and I'm thinking you might need a little more support in putting down the bottle. It's still got a pretty tight grip on you buddy. I think you need more help in getting this problem solved.

I speak from experience - I was like this at one point too. Then a medical professional sat me down, and told me to my face that I was delusional. I thought he was crazy at the time. Turns out I was so wrapped up in my "drinkin' thinkin'" that I had no clue how bad things were.

My advice: stop drinking completely. Immediately. Don't go see the band this Friday, but try an AA meeting instead. Find support in the recovery community. Good luck.