View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
digdug

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I am having a double hip replacement in November (hopefully, November 4th). Opiates were never my thing, but I did take them recreationally on occasion. I know that I have the potential to get hooked on anything, as my drug of choice has constantly shifted over the years. By being upfront with my surgeon about my addiction history, we have come up with a plan, along with the help of my family and sponsor.

I will be in the hospital 3-4 days after surgery where pain medicine will be necessary. The nurses will only distribute as prescribed and required. The hope is that once I leave the hospital and begin my rehab, that I will not need narcotics, and rely instead on NSAIDs. Only the surgeon can make the determination, based on the level of success of the surgery and recovery, if I need further pain management.

If that is the case, meds will be given directly to my mother, who will dispense to me only a few days at a time. Physical progress will be monitored closely by my PCP and my physical therapist. Mental progress will be monitored by my psychiatrist and sponsor.

I will be cut off as soon as possible, before any chance of dependency can form. I will share about it in meetings to hold myself accountable to the group and to my sponsor.

I am taking this seriously because I am not giving up my almost 7 months of sobriety for this. Only honesty to all parties involved and faith in my higher power will get me through this.

Best of luck to you!