View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Amber23

I have posted on here several times about AH's seizures....TERRIFYING.....and although he is in recovery, he slips up (tho not bingeing) but I immediately panic about seizures.

I feel like I have post traumatic stress because of it.....so I too understand the insanity of the denial.....AH actually told me that 1) I was weak for calling an ambulance, that I should've just handled it, 2) he insisted that he didn't actually have any seizures........3) he could control it.

Now I know the signs to look for.....the withdrawal symptoms like the COUGHING!!. Then the look of anxiety and fear on his face and refusal to leave the couch. This tells me he is dryong out..... Mostly it is the cough.... He coughs/or something like a cough, repeatedly. I guess it has to do with chest spasms.....The seizures also hit my AH at 24 hours DRY like clockwork. The drs told me on 2nd ER visit that seizures are common at 24 hours.....why is this not common knowledge when dealing with an alcoholic! If I had known earlier it would have helped!

We had numerous battles because I insisted he go to a detox center and not dry out at home. After I learned more about the danger of death etc I could not condone this stupidity.

The last one was when he was preparing to go to Detox center (2nd time), he decided he wanted to go at a specific time so he didn't have to wait too long for the withdrawal symptoms to kick in for admittance......well once he started getting the symptoms he started to get weird and refused to even go.....said he would wait it out. Well I managed to get him in car and the whole ride was a horror show. I thought he was going to stroke out in the car between the coughing and his anxiety/hallucinations etc. He ended up having a seizure an hour later in the detox center.

I digress, I am not living with the threat of seizures at the moment, or so I hope.....but knowing that he drinks even a beer here and there scares me because I don't know at what point his body would react...so I listen for that cough...

Dr. prescribed some anti-seizure withdrawal meds afterwards, but its the sudden dryout that needs to be addressed. I was told they get worse each time.

Sending you well wishes that he gets proper medical treatment to dry out.....