View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
InsaneHeart

Originally Posted by Artemis108 View Post
I'm currently working on my senior year in art school, and I've been wondering lately if my drinking has become a problem.

My whole life I've suffered from severe social anxiety disorder, to the point where I've been afraid to leave the house. I didn't have a single friend from middle school to high school, because everyone thought I was mute. I promised myself that when I got to college I would change. I went to counseling and therapy, and I tried countless medications, I tried gradually exposing myself to social situations but I saw no results. I spent my freshman year holed up in my dorm room fighting panic attack after panic attack falling deeper and deeper into depression with still no friends.

Then out of the blue i got invited to a party by some classmates. I was terrified but somehow I managed to show up. I noticed coolers full of bud lite, but up until then I never drank. I tried one and the result was immediate! I felt relaxed and by the end of the night I was calm and actually engaging in a few conversations! After that I was able to actually function in some social situations, as long as I had 2 drinks.

I started out drinking socially, and had amazing results, then I needed more and more to relax, then I started drinking before speeches and presentations just to calm down.

Then I realized that I actually really REALLY love beer and wine. I now have two drinks a night and every weekend I get fall over drunk. Some times I have friends to drink with, and sometimes I drink alone. When I dont have any friends beer becomes my friend, and if I dont drink I have cravings.

I'm sorry for writing this long rambling post, but I have some questions. Do I sound like an alcoholic? I feel like two drinks a night is really that much, but what concerns me is that now I dont feel capable of socializing sober without having anxiety attacks. I'm concerned that I've developed a dependance, and I kind of want to cut back. If I've developed these habits is moderated drinking ok or should I give it up entirely? Is it ever ok to get drunk?
The bolded above stood out to me.