View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LunaCat

It has been terrifying for me to hear and witness these seizures - STBXAH has had six in two years. I called 911 after the first one as I had no idea what was happening to him. STBXAH had no medical insurance at the time. AH was taken by ambulance to the E.R. where the blood work indicated ethyl alcohol withdrawal. STBXAH checked out later that day - against the Dr.'s recommendations. I, too, was in the dark as to the extent of AH's drinking. I was only aware of the beer but it turned out that he, too, had vodka hidden in his car and in the garage (he, too spikes those bottles of Gatorade).

At first he disregarded the doctors' opinions as to the cause of his seizures even when we were finally able to see a neurologist who came to the same conclusion (he'd had three by then). Ah, the power of denial. That was last year.

STBXAH is, once again, sans medical insurance. He has had two AW seizures in the last six months. He has never had DT's or multiple seizures at a time. But his susceptibility to seizures when he stops drinking is finally something that even HE can no longer disregard. After the last one he actually acknowledged that he may need to get treatment for his alcoholism. But the resolve didn't last. After less than a week, he was back at it. I filed for divorce a few months ago. I so look forward to the day when I can, once again, relax and live without the drama of walking on eggshells and no longer fear every little noise as an indication that another seizure is at hand.