View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LunaCat

Seizure, Anyone?

I’ve been lurking for quite a while. I’ve read numerous SR postings and have, sadly, been able to identify with way too much of the pain, confusion and emotional turmoil expressed by the other spouses and loved ones of A’s in those postings. And, like so many others, my STBXAH is a wonderful, caring, considerate, creative, generous, funny, intelligent man when he isn’t drinking. But I rarely see that man anymore because drinking has taken over his life.

My STBXAH and I have been together for 21 years and married for 7. We have no children. Like so many others I can look back through the years and see now that my husband has had a problem with alcohol for many years but my own denial clouded my perception

He has been unemployed for several years and, unfortunately, drinking has become his vocation. My STBXAH’s alcoholism has advanced to the point that he sometimes has a seizure whenever he stops drinking (alcohol withdrawal). Does anyone else live with an A who suffers alcohol withdrawal seizures? The worst part is that even these seizures aren’t enough for AH to seek out treatment. His judgement is so clouded that even suffering seizures is an acceptable price to pay for his beloved drink. Alcoholism is insidious.