View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Kaneda8888

Lommey

I am doing the Steps now. Early days and my sponsor is deliberately taking it slow. It can take months or years to complete them. Or it can be quick depending on the individual.

I am not sure how it works in the UK but in Oz you choose your sponsor. Go to a few AA meetings and observe the members. Then see if there is someone who you think is a good fit, they have been sober for 2-3 years and have done the 10th Step, approach and ask if they would be willing to be your Sponsor. Alternatively, you can ask the chairperson who are the willing sponsors in the meeting, they may know. It's a bit like choosing a dancing partner however, a big difference is that the sponsor must be the same gender as you. There are many stories of men preying on vulnerable women.

A good sponsor should be upfront and say that they will be your temporary sponsor or that the sponsorship will be for a trial period until you are comfortable with each other. If they don't say that, you should not be afraid to bring it up. Seasoned sponsors understand that sometimes there isn't a good fit and will end the relationship with no hard feelings. Remember it's all about you and maintaining your sobriety. The sponsor is there to firstly support you in gaining and maintaining sobriety, then to do the 12 steps. The sponsor knows that only too well !

Hope that helps