View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
honeypig

I do understand your feelings; when I first got into Al-Anon, it was mildly helpful to listen in meetings but I had stuff I wanted to get off my chest and the main meeting was no place for that.

The reading material is a great start--you can go to Amazon and just search "alanon books" and get many results.

Also, if you have more than one meeting in your area, try some different ones. Usually it's recommended that a person attend 6 DIFFERENT meetings before making up their mind about Al-Anon. Meetings can have very different flavors.

Can you go early or hang around for a bit after the meeting to talk w/people? The "meeting after the meeting" can be more useful than the actual meeting sometimes! Sometimes people will go for coffee afterwards and that can be a way to get some small-group or one-on-one time, too.

Hmm, another idea might be to look into getting a temporary sponsor. If there is anyone who you kind of click with and who you'd like to talk more with, you could ask if they would be your temporary sponsor. Or you could just ask that person if they'd like to meet for coffee and to talk Al-Anon, too.

Hope something in here helps. Really, Al-Anon can be such a great resource--hope you find a way to make it work for you!