View Single Post
Old 11-28-2002, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

ummm... remember that first step?

We admitted that we were powerless over the alcoholic, that our lives had become unmanagable.

If her boyfriend is an unsavory character, you have every right to tell her not to bring him to your house. However, if it was more than that, try to remember that you can't manage her relationships any more than you can any other aspect of her recovery.

As to the outburst... withdrawal smarts. It's physically uncomfortable and she's also coping with the world without her anesthetic for the first time in a long time. A pea sized issue can get magnified into a cannonball. There's no law that says you have to keep her while she's being impossible, but don't be surprised that she's being that way. You and your husband are recovering, too. You wouldn't be the first to find that your recovery is not served by catering to hers. You can't know what is best for her. Addicted people are not all alike, so trying to make plans around what might fix them is guesswork. You may have to decide what is best for you.

Hugs,
Smoke