View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DylanS

'Guess I'll chime in here, too; you're not alone. I got sober at 22 and was sober 12 years in AA, moved to a new state and just didn't get back to AA meetings, and went on to other things/therapies. I lasted 2 more years then drank. I was going to do the 'drink test' to see if I really had the physical component (you see, the mental component, the obsession, was already in play, so I had to figure a way to make it okay to drink - tricky, eh? ). Well, incredibly, I somehow forgot I was doing the drink test and was out drinking 13 years, and added opiate addiction, to boot.

I'm now 49 and just past 2 months sober/clean now, myself.

If you can afford it, you might check out The Big Book Comes Alive with Joe McQ and Charlie P. I listen to these tapes while working out and really go far in making the power of the Big Book and the steps....well, come alive, and with a lot of humor, too.

You can do this and AA can and does work for agnostics like you, me, and thousands of others. "To be doomed to an alcoholic death or to live on a spiritual basis are not always easy alternatives to face....But cheer up, something like half of us thought we were atheists or agnostics. Our experience shows you need not be disconcerted." (emphasis mine).

Welcome to SR, and back to sobriety.