View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AstroZombie

A Youngn' New to Recovery

Hey everybody. I just signed up and decided to post because I've reached a small milestone in my recovery and I've been having some weird little things happen and I just want to hear anyone's thoughts, input, or experiences.
Ill start by giving you the lowdown. Im only 18, and I've been addicted to opioid painkillers for the last 5 years of my life. I know what your thinking. How could I be an addict of five years if I'm only 18? Well if you were familiar with the area that I l live in (the heart of Appalachia), then that statement wouldn't seem so far fetched to you. Opiate addiction is an epidemic here. I have friends who were snorting oxy at age 11. One of my best friends went to a ninety day rehab for heroin addiction last year just after his 17th birthday.
Anyway, back to my story. I am addicted to oxymorphone and oxycodone. I would take 40-60 mg opana a day, or 120-180 mg oxycodone. However, I have been 100% clean for around two weeks now. The milestone I spoke of earlier is the fact that all my withdrawal symptoms have left me as of 3 days ago, and now that I have no trace of opiates in my system I have noticed odd things happening with my body.
The first thing I noticed is that I will feel little 10 minute windows of utter happiness, but just as I begin really appreciate how good I'm feeling, I sink back into utter boredom and depression. The other thing I have noticed, and this is very, VERY odd, but I cry like a freakin baby when I hear a good song on the radio. I have a great passion for music and I always loved to nod out while listening to my favorite albums when I was using. But now, when I hear a great song, I get crazy goosebumps and I start to cry like an idiot. Its not a sad cry, I feel as though I'm crying at the sheer beauty of a good song. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's what I'm feeling right now.
So, I guess my question is, Has anyone experienced anything similar? Have any of you noticed the weird things that our brains do once we're clean and we start to feel again?