View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
soberclover

Awesome thread...thank you for tossing this thought out there. I, too, can relate. I've been way over-thinking drinking for the past two days. I've been getting a ton of "God shots" of subtle/not so subtle reasons why I shouldn't drink. While I'm still working my way through this, what I've come up with for me so far is that I'm lonely. I used to enjoy the chit chat in the bar. I enjoyed the attention I got. I don't get that anymore. And for my almost 11 months of sobriety, I haven't figured out a healthy replacement yet. I went to a meeting today; I generally don't go and it was ok. I may go again for the purpose of not feeling so lonely and out there on my own with my sobriety.

I think too that my wanting to drink is to escape from the mental/emotional work of figuring out this whole sobriety "thing". I miss checking out/escaping. I have a stack of magazines building up on my coffee table because I used to love relaxing with a glass of wine and a magazine. It isn't the same with a cup of coffee. A lot of things aren't the same. I know things will get better. Things will get better for you too. There are a lot of things to figure out in sobriety. You are going through that too I think.