View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by pravchaw View Post
Addiction is a chronic relapsing disease - so this happens. The road to sobriety is never a straight one. So yes, he is out of house. Whether he goes to a detox or elsewhere is his choice. Hope he does seek treatment but I cannot make him do anything he does not want to. Best we can do is pick ourselves from the ground, take a moment to get our bearing and move on.
Im sorry to hear about his relapse, but your right it is a chronic disease. I had a thought so I will ask... I know it was the Canadian holiday over the weekend, and I was wondering if there were triggering events in this for him? Maybe time with extended family, feelings of insecurity, explaining his not being in college, etc? When my husband was in rehab, I (we) learned a lot about triggers, and emotional times like that can cause stress, even if they are "happy" events. Your son has only been in his outpatient program a short time, and its doubtful he has learned enough new coping skills. I guess my end thought is... hopefully he can identify the factors that led to this relapse, and he can use this to strengthen his recovery. I feel like you are a very supportive family, he is in the midst of outpatient treatment so he has help available to him, its hard to enforce the boundaries - but your doing what is best. Prayers for all of you, he gets back on track soon.

Also, Im sure your not up for giving tutorials, so hope its ok I add this info for other members... the CRAFT (community reinforcement and family training) method also encourages the use of boundaries, and it does not support unhealthy enabling behaviors.