View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
HopefulmomtoD

Originally Posted by pravchaw View Post
Thanks very much my friends. If you have some tips on dealing with young adults in early sobriety - I would appreciate it. Its been 2 weeks now since he moved back (5 days in in patient detox) and now has a week of outpatient, 2 more weeks to go. He has settled back into his previous habit of hours of video gaming and internet and not helping around the house and general laziness. This really irritates me as there are so many things which needs to be done around the house but I guess I need to give him a few weeks to get his act together. He has been home bound (except for his day program). Yesterday he was talking about going back to university. He is looking a lot better his eyes are clear and seems to have regained a spring in his steps.
This drove me crazy, too. Until my DS got a job, we required him to be up by 9 am everyday and doing something productive around the house (or helping a relative). I gave him a list of jobs that needed to be done around the house: power washing, painting, weeding, mowing, washing windows, cleaning and organizing the garage, etc. He also was required to go to an AA meeting daily. It really worked out great for us. He felt like he was achieving things and helping us and we got a lot of things around the house accomplished. Now that he's working and going to school, I kind of miss my handy man.

I'd make playing video games/internet time dependent on him accomplishing something productive during the day.

Good luck!