Thread: How Far to Go?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Celticgirl

How Far to Go?

After finding that my husband had been sneaking around and drinking for a few days, I realized that I needed to back off and stop enabling him. I told him he's got to deal with all the legal stuff resulting from his DUI, figuring out how he's going to get to and from work and the DMV after he loses his license, etc. I also have told him that I don't know if I want to stay in this relationship anymore, but I need to have some time to think things through.

Since then, I've barely been speaking to him. He's really remorseful, and has told me that he's looking forward to going to the classes that he's mandated to take. He's also been looking for a counselor that he can see to hopefully figure out what's going on. He has not been drinking. I can absolutely tell that he's sober, and he's telling me that he's so very sorry for what he's done.

My question: Do I keep on ignoring him and giving him the cold shoulder? We have two kids and I am trying to minimize the tension in the house. How kind do I have to be? I'm afraid to let my guard down, for obvious reasons, but it would be nice to go out for a family dinner sometime or to the kids' performances without a lot of silence and hostility (on my part).