View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lessgravity

Two weeks tomorrow - thank you all

Abusive relationships, missed opportunities, silly arguments, forgotten evenings, lost friendships, lost limbs, embarrassment, shame, regret – even the small stuff! Sure I can reminisce with golden vision about that long summer day with friends on bicycles with bottles of wine the baskets, and the tumbling laughter – but even that’s a lie. The only positive thing booze did was lower inhibitions – it didn’t deepen our laughter, make the lovely day lovelier, improve the conversation (nor did it improve the coital relations those lowered inhibitions may have later provided for) or anything else. It’s just a sweet lie, and one told with fervor in our Western culture – but it’s a lie nonetheless.

I’m going to bed sober tonight, feeling lucky. Lucky that I’m just ok being here ok. No incredible, momentary drug induced highs; none of the bottom of the human-pond self-hating lows. And I’m thinking instead about everyone else out there suffering tonight in another ruined hour of their addiction.

Thank you so much, all of you - those of us still struggling, those who stick around to help the rest get through.

Stay strong, people.