Thread: hello.
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Br00ksie
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by missnewby View Post
hoping just to connect with people that can maybe relate. I feel like I want help, but wishing I could just get a grip on the situation rather than re-hab. thanks for your shared thoughts.
So glad you found SR! I'm a newbie as well, and SR has helped tremendously in terms of my sobriety.

What is your definition of getting "a grip on the situation"? Prior to turning 30 (actually at 21), I knew I was an alcoholic but I was not ready to give up partying, so for 9 years I made MANY, MANY attempts to moderate/control my drinking (I.e. Giving myself a limit, drinking water, switching types of alcohol).

Gradually my drinking worsened, and each attempt to moderate and appear "normal" ended with me being a wasted mess. Finally, at 30, after many physical and moral hangovers and much embarrassment, I decided that complete sobriety was my only option.

My life has changed for the better since I made that decision, as I do not go to a lot of places (bars/clubs) that I would go when I was drinking. I am also making new, sober friends who, like me, tend to avoid places/situations involving drugs and alcohol. All that being said, you have to come to sobriety on your own terms. You may be ready, and you may not be.

Regardless, there is a LOT of support on this website- positive reinforcement when you succeed, and wisdom, encouragement and support when you fail or are having a difficult time.

Welcome and good luck, missnewby!!