View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Hawkeye13

In the "early middle stages" of my alcoholism during my 20s-early 30s I also went months / weeks between drinks, could go to bars and have a few no problems, kept an intensive job without problems, worked out and was "healthy and fit" overall. Although I knew I had issues with alcohol and two alcoholic parents, I saw myself more as an occasional "problem drinker" but never as an alcoholic. I had hangovers, but never to the extent you are describing. No blackouts, no hallucinations, no need for medication to get through it. I still have never had hallucinations or taken medication for withdrawal and I'm nearly 50. I think you should really get honest with yourself about what is going on with your body. Call it what you want, but it is clear you are not processing alcohol like a "normal social drinker" and you are still relatively young--believe me, it doesn't improve from this point. It only gets worse. I heard that so many times from my mother, my hard-drinking friends, from other folk on barstools longer than me but thought "not me". You've obviously heard it too if you are a bartender. But I just didn't want to hear it or take anybody's word for it until I had checked it out for myself. Skip forward twenty years to today, and now I see the path I was on and the label I wouldn't pick up then, since I considered myself a special snowflake who could handle it. I lost a whole lot of time splitting semantic hairs about my label, and I hope you don't do the same. I wish you a better journey than I had--you are smarter than me for at least tuning in to the SR station. Best wishes.