View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jaynie04

Hi Mirage. I had the same feeling right about where you are now. Alcohol is a depressant and I think a lot of us are used to operating in a slightly manic state and then bringing ourselves back into homeostasis by drinking. That becomes a recipe for disaster. If you imagine a straight line across a page as being even keeled and then imagine taking a pen and drawing peaks and valleys across that line I think a lot of us swing up and down a lot in early sobriety. I am sure you have heard the saying "easy does it".

For me it was important to realize that I was getting too hyped up and agitated. I was anxious to make up for lost time. However, I realized that that was setting me up to be in a precarious position. I chilled out and didn't ride that wave.

What I think happens at least for me is that those swings up and down aren't as wide and are less protracted. My operating range is starting to return to normal. Everyone has these states, they are much more pronounced in early sobriety. It helped me to understand what was happening so that when the loop swooped downwards into a slightly depressed state it wasn't such a shock, and it is definitely evening out. I mentioned in a thread about a month ago that I got rid of my yellow legal pad with all my lists, I was driving myself nuts. Anything that is urgent I remember, and if I don't I will figure it out. Learning to live sober is the biggest thing on my agenda right now.