Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BookNerd

Why is my AH so controlling with his tools?

We have a large property and an old house that both need a lot of work. My AH doesn't do much as he drinks every evening and is hungover a good part of the weekend. Well fine, so I try to pick up the slack - and he won't let me. He won't let me near the keys of the lawnmower, he becomes savagely angry if I offer to do a repair and need to use a tool. THEY ARE MY TOOLS. MINE! he growls at me through clenched teeth.

He said he was going to build a play structure for our kids but he still hasn't in over a year, so I decided I was going to build them a small sandbox so at least they had something. I'm not the best with woodworking, but I should be able to handle something shaped like a square, right? He was SO ANGRY when I brought it up and again I got the YOU CAN'T USE MY TOOLS speech. He wouldn't even let me use a saw. He told me HE would make the sandbox. Of course, that was a while ago...no sandbox was ever started.

It is so frustrating to me that nothing ever gets done around here. We have so many projects planned, the house needs so many repairs, and nothing ever sees fruition because he won't do it, and he won't let me do anything either. His toolboxes are always locked, by the way, so I can't do things while he's at work.

Too bad we are utterly broke at the moment or I would go out and buy myself a whole set of basic tools, even though he already told me I can't. I really don't understand why he gets so furious if I want to borrow a tool. The only thing I can think of is that he is afraid if I start doing the "man" things around here I will think I no longer need him. But if he felt that way, wouldn't he want to um, actually DO something once in a while? Because right now, no, I don't really need him. He pretty much does nothing but get drunk and high, and watch movies, when he is home. What is useful about that?