View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OneNightAWeek

Marriage and Addiction and Recovery

I would like to know hear how your marriage vows, and the belief that "through better or worse, sickness and death" fits into your concept of addition, IF you believe addiction is a chronic disease, comparable to cancer, or other mental illness that can have a devastating affect on the family.

I am not looking for lists of how people suffered due to addiction, how angry they are, how cheated they feel. This is the point, families who have someone with chronic illness can all share war stories too.

I was sharing my story on another thread, and was telling how my husband quit cocaine almost two weeks ago now, but is feeling the emotional effects. I was given the impression it was wrong of me to subject myself to his problems, his moods because this was due to addiction. What if it was due to another illness?

On the other hand, I explained on my post how I am currently pregnant with our first child. I have already had many things go on with the pregnancy and my health that have affected me, and him. I have had to go to the ER ( he took me ), blood pressure problems (he bought me a monitor for home), morning sickness (he has cleaned up after me while I sat crying about how I will never survive this), irritability (being short with him), crying spells (he tries to comfort me), blood sugar problems (he has been bringing home healthy foods, fruit to help me change my diet).

I get a feeling if my husband posted here on this forum, left out the part about it being about a pregnancy, the majority of people here would say he should detach, think of his own needs, how he doesnt deserve to put up with my crap, and to just let me suffer on my own because Im a big girl.

In my post, I only had one comment about his efforts and it was to bash any comparison between his having an addiction and trying to recover, and my being sick while pregnant.

I started thinking, what is the difference? If you believe addiction is a disease?

Ive heard people on this forum respect their marriage vows, respect marriage in general, so I would like a simple explanation of how they view marriage, their role, responsibilities when dealing with addiction as a disease.

Thanks